Victoria is home to 6 million people (2016 ABS estimate), with about 4.5 million of those living in the suburbs and surroundings which constitute the state's capital city of Melbourne.
Victoria is Australia's second most populated state and Melbourne is the country's second largest city.
Victoria's 10 largest cities by population
|No.||City||Year settled||Population||Distance from Melbourne|
- Populations are based on Australian Bureau of Statistics Census data from 2011
- Populations are specified for each city's urban area, its surrounding suburbs and adjacent rural area, not the entire municipality
- Areas within Greater Melbourne are included in Melbourne's total and are not ranked separately
- Populations are rounded to the nearest 100, except for Melbourne which is rounded to the nearest 1,000
- Some city names have changed over time, such as Bendigo which was originally known as Sandhurst until it was renamed in 1891