Victoria is home to around 5.6 million people (2012 ABS estimate), with more than 4.2 million of those living in the suburbs and surroundings which constitute the state's capital city of Melbourne.
Victoria is Australia's second most populated state and Melbourne is the country's second largest city.
Victoria's 10 largest cities by population
|Population||Distance by road
- Populations are based on Australian Bureau of Statistics Census data from 2011
- Populations are specified for each city's urban area, its surrounding suburbs and adjacent rural area, not the entire municipality
- Areas within Greater Melbourne are included in Melbourne's total and are not ranked separately
- Populations are rounded to the nearest 100, except for Melbourne which is rounded to the nearest 1,000
- The year settled can be a contentious issue, as it can be interpreted to mean the first resident in the area or when a town was formally declared or established
- Some city/town names have changed over time, such as Bendigo which was originally known as Sandhurst until it was renamed in 1891