Overseas visitors

Overseas visitors

Are you visiting Victoria from overseas?

Driving a motor vehicle

Overseas visitors to Victoria are permitted to drive motor vehicles on the state's roads provided they have a current and valid overseas driver licence and they only driving vehicles of the same class that their licence was issued for. This driver licence must either be printed in the English language, otherwise an English translation of it must be provided. An acceptable translation of a non-English driver licence is an International Driving Permit (IDP) which most countries around the world can issue, however the IDP must be accompanied by the original licence.

For further information refer to information for tourists and visitors.



The Australian dollar, which is divided into 100 cents, is the currency of Australia and is legal tender throughout its states and territories, including Victoria.

General circulation coin denominations are 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents, 50 cents, 1 dollar and 2 dollars. Standard issue samples of the reverse design of each of these coins are shown below. The obverse design of all these coins is a portrait of the monarch of Australia - formerly Queen Elizabeth II and now King Charles III.

Australian coins
Australian coins

From time to time, special issue coins featuring different reverse side artwork are released for general circulation. The size and shape of the coin is the same as the standard issue.

As there are no 1 and 2 cent coins in general circulation, cash transactions are rounded up or down to the nearest five cents. There is generally no rounding with electronic payments.

Polymer banknotes are available in the denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollars. Standard issue samples of the front and back of each of these banknotes is shown below.

Australian banknotes
Australian banknotes

Credit cards

Visa and MasterCard are overwhelmingly the most popular and widely accepted credit cards throughout Victoria. American Express and Diners Club enjoy good acceptance.

Goods & services tax (GST)

GST is a tax on most goods and services in Australia. There are a few exemptions, including basic food items and beverages, but not food or drink purchased for consumption on premises such as at restaurants. To avoid confusion, the law requires that the prices displayed for goods or services must be inclusive of the GST component.


Electricity from mains supply power points in Australia is alternating current which is usually specified as being supplied at 230 to 240 volts with a frequency of 50 Hz. Officially, mains supply voltage is 230 volts with a tolerance range of +10% and -6% (i.e. 216 to 253 volts).

If you have electrical devices you are bringing into Australia from countries other than New Zealand and some South Pacific nations, you may require a power adapter to convert your power plug into one that will fit into an Australian power socket. For countries which don't use 230 volts mains power (including Canada, USA, Mexico, countries in Central America, some South American countries and Japan), you will need a voltage converter.

Australian power point and plug
Australian power point and plug

Visitor visas

Residents of overseas countries who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens require a visa to enter Australia for personal, tourism or business purposes. This must be obtained prior to arrival in Australia.

You can either arrange the visa yourself, or your travel agent or airline may be able to arrange it for you.

There are several types of visitor visas. The one you require is determined by the country which has issued your passport.

Information about visitor visas »

Plan your visit

An Aussie Specialist Travel Agent has the knowledge and experience to help you plan and book your visit to Victoria or elsewhere in Australia from overseas. They have received extensive training from Tourism Australia.

There are thousands of Aussie Specialist Travel Agents who can be found in many countries world-wide. Search for yours below.

Aussie Specialist Travel Agent